Tuesday 14 October 2014

THE RUBBISHIFICATION OF GRACE!!!

Do I begin by tendering an apology for my absence from my duty post in over a month? I have been AWOL and I hope I will not be court marshalled. Please forgive me.


What's in a name? Would a rose still smell as sweet if it is called by any other name?


Names are very important. They are like identity tags, they are confessional statements telling of hopes of a preferred future, they tell of the depth of parental love and the circumstances surrounding ones birth, for some people, even believe that ones personality or character can be determined from ones name.


In almost all African cultures, much consideration is usually given in naming children.
Many African names carry great meaning. I know that Yoruba names carry great meanings. That's why for the life of me, I can't understand the new trend for misspelling names by young people these days.


Why would someone named Adeoluwa ( The Crown of God), prefer to spell their name as 'Hardayholowar', Ololade is now spelt as 'Hololarday'.
Can someone help me understand the rationale for this absurd attitude. To me, this alternative mode of spelling Yoruba names robs the name of its meaning and very 'razz'. I say 'razz' because in trying to pronounce the the names as they are spelt forces one to emphasize the wrong syllables. When Adeoluwa is spelt as 'Hardayholowar', the vowel sound 'a' is wrongly emphasized by the unnecessary addition of the 'h' sound which is wrong and it encourages what is known as the 'mother tongue influence' in diction.
I hope this fad would pass over quickly. Our Yoruba names are lovely and bestow much grace on the bearer. Misspelling them makes rubbish of that grace.


AUNTY MO.

2 comments:

Your comments are like rays of sunshine to me. Please brighten up my day ;)