Saturday 6 December 2014

RETHINKING NIGERIAN PARTIES!!!


I just lurve to partay!!! I love, love, love our Nigerian 'Owambe' parties - dressing up, the gorgeously dressed people, the ambience, food, music you name it, we Nigerians know how to celebrate and we do it with style not minding any austerity measures.
As much as I love our parties I feel somethings need to be put into consideration to make them more enjoyable for all.
Now, I'm referring here to 'owambe' parties and what I'm saying may not apply to other types of parties.
The first thing I'd like for us to consider is the music.
I know 'owambes' are usually characterized by the crowd of people in attendance and everything must be provided in mega doses, but still I feel the music does not have to be so deafeningly loud!!!
We were at a party over the weekend and because of our close association with the celebrant, we were ushered to the front row tables which are usually reserved for special guests, of course this meant we were seating so close to the musicians and their plentiful loudspeakers. The music was so loud that no one at that table could hold a meaningful conversation with each other and so we all kept mute for most part of the time we spent there.
The fun of attending that party was ruined for me that day and by the time we left, my head had begun to hurt.
My advice for hostesses and hosts is to please give good consideration to the volume at which music would be played at their party.
Having hosted one or two events, I know that what is often done is just to pay the musicians to show up and perform. We don't discuss details about the venue with them - stuff like, will it be in a hall or an open field, how big the hall is, how many speakers would be adequate and positioning of the speakers.
I know that the musician and their band always like to be placed at a vantage position where they can easily be 'sprayed' with money as they sing praises of wealthy party guests but I don't think its right that they should come with so many loudspeakers and amplify their sound to such jarring levels.
The party I attended was in honor of a friends' dad who turned 80. The poor man had lost his sight and to sit through his party isolated from everyone who came to celebrate him because the music was too loud and he couldn't hear what we were saying as we greeted him.
Being a good host is about giving careful consideration to the needs & comfort of ones guests. I look forward to attending an 'owambe' party in which I  won't have to shout at my fellow guests before I can be heard or lip-read before I can understand what they are saying.
There is so much to say about our Naija parties, you'd need to watch this space as I return with more of my thoughts on the food, asoebi, souvenirs etc.
TTFN.
Aunty MO.

2 comments:

Your comments are like rays of sunshine to me. Please brighten up my day ;)